21 July 2010

wiseGEEK Plug

Some of you beginning subscribers know that I can quite easily find work online as a writer. Thanks to my lifelong skills in English, I've been blessed with the ability to know how to write effectively. The ability to write for online is very different from Creative Writing or writing Fiction, despite what you might think. Aside from that, there are several outlets for writing online, which is where I find most of my income sources. Although I will try to not always put up links for money makers from writing.

That being said, let me tell you about my latest gig, working for wiseGEEK. I applied to wiseGEEK for a completely different position than the one I have now. I write  around 3 days a week and make  $15 an hour, which translates into an extra $150 to $200 a week. My job, although I'm not going to tell you what it is because I feel I owe it to wiseGEEK's privacy, is to basically generate traffic flow through writing. I had originally applied to be an article writer, however, and you can too. I believe that in my current position, however, I am able to make more than they do.


Like many online companies who employ people from home, wiseGEEK requests that you fill out a W-9 before your first request for payment. With this job, I can only request payment once I've reached 20,000 words or more, which is about every week or week and a half. A W-9 means (normally) that a company is legit in the intention to pay you. However, it also means that you will be filing taxes with a 1099 that year, so keep in mind that you might want to itemize or (if you are currently unemployed otherwise) see if you will qualify for EIC when filing.

Aside from that, this job is still very new to me, but takes minimal effort. I can choose to work as much or as little as I want as long as I make my personal goal of 20,000 words a week or a minimum goal of 15,000 a week according to WG. This means in order to work just 3 days a week for wiseGEEK, I need to write a minimum of 5,000 words a day. It might seem like a lot, but compared to other companies I currently work for writing, it's really nothing.

wiseGEEK isn't currently hiring for article writers anymore, but you can still check out their site below.




Did You Know?

No comments:

Post a Comment